Briefly recording my workflow for releasing an update for the Commons app on Google Play (lest I forget!):
- Submit pull request with my changes to project maintainer. Wait for merge.
- After pull request accepted, do versioning and tagging
- Record changes in changelog.md file
- Generate a signed APK using the keystore file, keystore password, key alias (auto generated by IntelliJ) and key password
- Upload new APK to Google Developer page and copy over changelog to be shown to users
- Wait several hours for the update to go through, then check app to see if it works as intended
- Do git rebase upstream/master to update my repo based on the upstream repo without creating messy merge commits. Check what the upstream repo is via git remote -v if there are errors with this.